Extra Long Drill Bits for Deep Holes

Long drill bits reach where ‘regular’ drill bits just can’t.

Using Aircraft Drill BitsAircraft drill bits are long drill bits originally designed for use in the aircraft industry where they often need to drill holes reaching through deep cavities, and then through thin materials. I find them invaluable in my shop for drilling holes in tight spaces, and drilling holes through long or wide pieces of wood. Now aside from those somewhat obvious uses, I’ll show you two other uses, and then give you some buying advice.

Become a Premium Member

Using Aircraft Drill BitsMy set. I own ten 6″ long aircraft bits ranging from 1/16″ to 1/4″ diameter. I bought mine individually over many years. I’m missing a few of the 64thinch increment bits, but that’s no big deal. If I were buying them today, I’d just start with a 13-piece set ranging up to 1/4″ diameter. You can buy larger diameter aircraft bits, up to 1/2″ diameter, but my experience in the shop is you don’t need any long bits larger than 1/4″ diameter, other than maybe one long 3/8″ diameter bit. I own a few other long drill bits, but they only get used for house repairs.

Using Aircraft Drill BitsDrill pilots holes. Here’s a great example of using an aircraft drill bit. I was attaching table extension slides to the underside of a new dining table, and I needed to drill pilot holes for the screws. Of course this could be done other ways, but using an aircraft bit saves a lot of time. I was able to drill the holes, insert the screws, and not have to move the slide even.

Using Aircraft Drill BitsDrill pocket holes. This type of drilling is where an aircraft bit really shines. You can’t do this with a ‘regular’ drill bit. I drilled the counterbore hole using a brad point bit, and now I’m drilling the clearance hole with an aircraft bit. I do own a pocket hole jig, but often I find it can’t drill the hole I need, and I then drill them this way.

Using Aircraft Drill Bits6″ bit set. This 13-piece set is very inexpensive, and a great way to get what I consider to be close to, if not all the aircraft bits you should ever need. The set, including the case, can be bought from Grizzly Industrial (see Sources). The bits are made from high-speed steel, and they range from 1/16″ to 1/4″ by 64ths. You can also buy individual bits online from Drill Bit Warehouse (see sources), or at some hardware stores, or some fastener supply companies.

Using Aircraft Drill Bits12″ bit set. Grizzly also sells this longer and more expensive whopping 29-piece set. It goes from 1/16″ to 1/2″ in 1/6″ increments. If you owned this set, I doubt you’d ever be looking for a missing bit!

Photos By Author

Sources:

Grizzly Industrial, Inc.

(800) 523-4777

Drill Bit Warehouse

(800)-350-8665

107 Responses to “Extra Long Drill Bits for Deep Holes”
  1. John

Very interesting. The long drill bits I have (limited amount) I call jobber bits. The 6″ and 12″ bits would be very useful in the shop. Thanks for the info.

2. John

17. John

18. John

19. John

20. John

21. John

22. Richard Newell

never thought those long bits my grandfather had would come in to use one day or be called aircraft bits….

23. Richard Newell

38. Richard Newell

39. Richard Newell

40. Richard Newell

41. Richard Newell

42. Richard Newell

43. John T

Used these bits many times in the past. Once you use them you will wonder how you did without them.

44. John T

59. John T

60. John T

61. John T

62. John T

63. John T

64. DnTwnBro

I had one of the smaller aircraft/ship/longer bits (from father-in-law who worked on the space shuttles) that really has saved me.
    I decided that I would build a hunting knife and attach an elk antler handle to the blade. I cut my first one with a sawzall “Milwaukee”. Well needless to say it was ragged so I got to looking around and in a box of rivits I found the aircraft bit which I put depth tape on before I started drilling and went to work. I don’t know how else I could have made such beautiful handles without the reach those bits have:-)
    I ended up making several more for my relatives after they had seen how great the knives and handles came out.
    Now I want to try the tip of making a pocket hole with it. I have the jig but it only does one size hole.

65. DnTwnBro

80. DnTwnBro

81. DnTwnBro

82. DnTwnBro

83. DnTwnBro

84. DnTwnBro

85. Jennifer

My husband is an A&P mechanic (A&P=Airframe and Powerplant) who works for a major Airlines and he has never heard of this drill bits.