As you work through the class, it will be important that you understand the jargon that’s specific to lathes and spindle turning. We’ll cover the parts of a lathe, and what you need to know to make sure that, if you buy lathe accessories, they’ll work with your machine. We’ll also cover various types of speed controls you may find on lathes, which is very helpful if you’re lathe shopping.
If you want to get hooked on a hobby fast, start lathe turning!
It’s an incredibly addictive form of woodworking. It’s a lot of fun and, unlike many other types of woodworking, many lathe projects can be completed in a very short amount of time. Additionally, lathes take up very little space, and are a great way to get kids interested in woodworking.
Presented by George Vondriska, this video instruction class provides everything you need to know to start doing spindle turning. From teaching you the parts of a lathe, to what types of material are best for turning, to chisel use, we’ve got you covered. In addition to helping you with the mechanics of using the chisels, we’ll even teach you how to sharpen them.
This course concentrates on the scraping technique. You’ll learn what chisels to use for each step of the turning process, how to take a turning blank from rough to round, when to make speed changes as you’re doing your turning, and how to shape the spindle with beads and coves. We also cover sanding and finishing on the lathe, and provide a variety of safety tips.
A real benefit to learning lathe turning by video is the ability to stop and view segments multiple times. This is a great way to get a feel for the body mechanics required; how to stand, how to hold the chisel, how to make the cuts. You’ll also learn how to add accents to your turning using a burn technique, and how to turn parts to a specific size.
In addition to the detailed video instruction you’ll receive, this class provides you with a printable Class Guide you can follow and use as a reminder for the key points of the class.
- Q: How do I know what the Class covers?A: Every Class has a free Preview video you can watch, to give you a flavor of the Instructor and the skills or project that will be covered. In addition, the Overview tab includes a thorough written description of the Class. And finally, each Class Session has a brief written summary of the content in that Session, including the length of each Session video. You will get a good feel for the Class content by reviewing these resources.
- Q: Do I have to be a Member of Woodworkers Guild of America to purchase a Class?A: No you don’t. While Premium Members will receive regular offers for special deals on WWGOA Academy content, Classes are not reserved exclusively for Members. If you buy a Class as a non-member, we’re sure you’d also enjoy having access to our full library of great woodworking videos and articles as a Member, so give it a try.
- Q: How do I purchase a Class?A: First you should decide that the Class is what you want. Review the Class Preview video and the various written descriptions of the Class and each Session before you purchase, so you have a good understanding of the Class content. When you’re ready to purchase and gain access to the Class, simply click the “Add to Cart” button, and proceed through the Checkout process.
- Q: How do I access/view my Class?A: Once you’ve paid, you can access/view your Class by going to the MY ACCOUNT section of Woodworkers Guild of America. The MY ACCOUNT link is in the upper right-hand area of the website. Within your MY ACCOUNT, a section labeled “My Classes” will appear, including a link to watch the video of your Class. You’ll also receive an email confirmation after your purchase, which will include a link to view your Class. You can access your Class as many times as you wish, and you’ll never lose access to your Account information. Just be sure to “Log In” for access to MY ACCOUNT.
- Q: Do I have to take the Class right away?A: No. Any Class you buy will be accessible to you always. You can view your Class whenever you want, and you can view individual Sessions in whatever order you like.
- Q: Is there a limit on the times I can view my Class?A: No. Your access never expires. You can view any Class you purchase as many times as you want, whenever you want.
- Q: Can I view a Class on my tablet device or mobile phone?A: No problem. Most newer-model smartphones or other mobile/tablet devices with an internet connection are able to play the Class videos. Simply Log In on Woodworkers Guild of America, and you can view any Class you’ve bought through the MY ACCOUNT section. Or, you can click on the “View Class” link within the email confirmation you’ll receive upon your purchase.
- Q: How do I get access to the Bonus Materials for the Class?A: Until you purchase a Class, the Bonus material (any extra videos, download materials, etc.) will not be accessible. Once you purchase a Class, and go to View your Class, each individual Bonus element is accessible by simply clicking on each item. You’ll find the Bonus Materials to the right of your main Class viewer frame. As with the Class video, you can access the bonus materials as many times as you like.
- Q: How does the Class Q&A Resource benefit work?A: Once you purchase any Class, within the Class viewing page, you’ll have access to post a question, comment or tip in the Class Q&A Resource area. This is not a “live chat,” but your Class Instructor and WWGOA contributors will answer posted questions and provide tips regularly. You can also view other Class participants’ questions and input to take part in this virtual dialogue among others who have taken the Class and are willing to share tips, answers, or ideas.
- Q: Can I print out Class details?A: For any Bonus Material that is a PDF Download, yes you can. Just click on the icon/button for the Bonus element you want, and print with your local printer.
- Q: What are PDF downloads?A: These are simply documents, plans, or written materials that are formatted in a way to print out and retain for reference. By simply clicking on the icon/link for any PDF Download that is included with a Class, you can print that document on your own printer or simply view the contents on your computer/mobile device.
- Q: Are there any system requirements to view the Class video content?A: Your Class video content is best when viewed on a computer manufactured in the past couple of years with a good broadband Internet connection (not dialup). We also highly recommend using the latest version of Firefox, Safari, or Chrome as your Internet Browser, though recent versions of Internet Explorer will work as well. The recommended screen resolution is 1024 x 768 or larger.
- Q: Why do you need my email?A: We need it to acknowledge your purchase of a Class, and send you a confirmation of your transaction. Also, in order to maintain your permanent access to the Class videos, you’ll need to Log In to WWGOA.com. We guarantee that we will not share your email with any third parties. You may receive email updates from Woodworkers Guild of America from time to time, with details of new Classes and updates. You can easily unsubscribe when you receive any email.
- Q: Can I get a refund if I don’t like the Class?A: Because you’ll have full access to all the materials and content that is presented in the Class immediately, we can’t offer a refund after purchase. Please review the Class Preview video and the various written descriptions of the Class and each Session before you purchase, so you have a good understanding of the Class content.
- Q: How do I contact WWGOA Academy?A: If your question is about the Class content, please use the Class Discussion benefit to ask your question online – and you'll receive feedback from the Class Instructor. Even your fellow Class participants may jump in to offer tips and advice from their experience. If you have other questions or need help, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us toll-free, at 1-855-253-0822. Service Representatives will be available Monday-Friday, from 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM Central time, excluding normal holidays.
Bonus Materials Included
- Printable Class Guide PDF?
- Class Resources PDF?
- Video: Meet Your Instructor?
- Video: More about Spindle Turning?