Getting Started with Resin

Thanks for signing up for the Getting Started with Resin Challenge. Click any of the thumbnails below to watch the project videos.

Tuxedo Coasters
Aurora Clock
Surfside Charcuterie Board
Ocean Bench
Alaskan River Table

144 Responses to “Getting Started with Resin”
        Airwreck

Why do I have to watch vid. I’m hearing impaired.. I want to read.
        Sigh

Customer Service

Hello!

I’m terribly sorry that the video does not currently have captions added to it. We are working hard to get more videos with captions added in the future.

Let us know if you have any questions and we’ll help out!

Thank you!

Jessica
          Woodworkers Guild of America Video Membership

1. Gary Jones
    Gary Jones

I trained 3 years to be a carpenter, six weeks before the end, I fell off a ladder on my job, I’m looking to do some small jobs, making stuff soon.

2. Darryll Jonah
    Darryll Jonah

Have a project in mind that will require resin. Need to learn a new skill.

3. Felix Hurtado
    Felix Hurtado

Beautiful project,would like to learn how to create similar projects.

Customer Service

Hello Robert!

We’d love to help! What information are you looking for?

Thank you!

Jessica
      Woodworkers Guild of America Video Membership

4. Misbahu Sani Muhammad
    Misbahu Sani Muhammad

I am interested carpenter/furniture maker,I am ready to learn from you.

Customer Service

Hello Robert!

I do apologize but I was not able to find a DVD regarding Resin work in our Shop section.

Thank you!

Jessica
      Woodworkers Guild of America Video Membership

Customer Service

Hello Steve!

To view a video, please click or tap on the desired topic you’d like to watch and then press play.

Thank you!

Jessica
      Woodworkers Guild of America Video Membership

5. Dean
    Dean

Where can I purchase resin and can it be shipped through the post office since i reside on an Island.

Customer Service

Hi Dean,

Thank you for contacting us. When I can’t get out to get it I order from Amazon.

If you have any other concerns, please contact us at 1-855-253-0822, or chat with us on our site.

We greatly appreciate your business!

Sincerely,

Joan
      Woodworkers Guild of America Video Membership

6. John Ostrovsky
    John Ostrovsky

I am curious about what equipment is required, suppliers in Ontario Canada, can resin work ok in colder temperatures and how it works.

7. dave heaven
    dave heaven

nice resin work, i’m going to learn, cuz i have a sawmill making river boards, and what is a url?

Customer Service

Hello Dave,

Thank you for contacting us.

The URL for our website is: http://www.wwgoa.com .

We greatly appreciate your business!

Sincerely,

Lindsay
      Woodworkers Guild of America Video Membership

8. Edie Sellers
    Edie Sellers

I’m having a sunroom built and want to custom make the mantle & hearth out of lumber I’m clearing

9. Joy Cantrell
    Joy Cantrell

Resin projects are beautiful and very interesting. I’m excited to learn all i can

10. Andy Stowe
    Andy Stowe

Want to find out more about resin projects, how to use it for best effects and how to create a top quality finish.

11. Tom Fajardo
    Tom Fajardo

I can visualize some very beautiful projects using resin already so need to learn more about it

12. kip mcnerney
    kip mcnerney

I have a small sawmill and a bunch of slabs. I could use some ideas

I have a bunch of

I have a small sawmill and a bunch of slabs of pine . I could use some ideas

13. Nathalie
    Nathalie

I purchased a resin kit about 9 months ago and been terrified to try it. I did not even open the box yet, but yet in love with the results.

14. Charles Wilson
    Charles Wilson

Awesome, just awesome. I do wood crafts. I make some chairs that I think would sell well with this idea. I’ll have to play with it too see what I can do. Thank you for allowing me to see. Thank you

15. Allen smmith
    Allen smmith

I have my own workshop and I would like to have the knowledge for resin projects

16. Steve shields
    Steve shields

Have used resin on surf boards and to inject into shrinkage cracks in concrete, but not used on timber. Would like to learn this.

17. Andre van der Westhuizen
    Andre van der Westhuizen

I would like to learn about Resin for personal use in my house.

18. Ron Grothaus
    Ron Grothaus

I have over 10 epoxy resin tables.etc. I produced a dining room table that warped. I didn’t seal both sides. The drying of the unsealed side produced the problem. Don’t make that mistake.

19. Gene Stewart
    Gene Stewart

Years ago I worked for toy company and did a lot of resin casting of prototypes. Now I would like to use that knowledge with my woodworking hobby so I will see if these video will fill in some gaps in my mixing skills. (More later.)

20. Patrick Schumann
    Patrick Schumann

Looks interesting and I will try it whenever I finish setting up my shop!

21. Martin Hurst
    Martin Hurst

I live in a cold wintery part of Canada where I cannot do this outside or in my garage so that I have lots of ventilation. Are the fumes from mixing and working with the resin and hardener toxic to breathe? I don’t want to subject the rest of my household to these fumes either. Is there a way to build a fume hood to exhaust these fumes outside of my basement workshop?

Customer Service

Hello Martin,

Thank you for contacting us.

The epoxies I’ve used don’t have a strong smell, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t giving off chemicals. Here’s what MAS Epoxy https://masepoxies.com/ says about their products

VOC

MAS Table Top Pro is considered a 100% solids epoxy coating. While much of the industry will tell you their products contains zero VOC, we’ve actually tested our product and obtained a result of 1.5 g/L VOC, which is extremely low. For reference, a low VOC house paint may contain up to 50 g/L VOC and other VOC-exempt solvents.

Sensitization

Unfortunately, it’s possible to develop an allergic sensitization to any epoxy resin system. It is quite like the allergic reaction to poison ivy. The severity of the reaction varies depending on the individual and the amount of exposure. Some people become sensitized to the epoxy resin and others to the hardener. Take measures such as wearing nitrile gloves, Tyvek arm guards and an apron to prevent skin contact with the epoxy. If you do get some on your skin wash it off immediately with soap and water. It’s less common, but in addition to developing a rash from skin contact, severely sensitized individuals can also have an allergic reaction to vapors from the epoxy resin and hardener. Symptoms may include tightening of the throat and difficulty breathing. We recommend working in well ventilated areas for precisely that reason. If you must work with the epoxy resin in a confined space, wear a NIOSH approved respirator with an organic vapor cartridge.

Yes, you could build a hood to vent the fumes, similar to the vent hood over a stove. Maybe you can get some ideas from this video https://www.wwgoa.com/video/diy-exhaust-fan-016078/

We greatly appreciate your business!

Sincerely,