Ask WWGOA: Square Route a Hole for an Inlay

ask WWGOA text with a man posing


I’m trying to rout a square hole 6″ x 4″ x 1/8″ deep, for an inlay on a jewelry box lid. What kind of bit should I use? The lid is 3/8″ thick.

Submitted by roberttalmadge


Any straight bit will do the job. If the material you’re routing into has a tendency to chip, I’d recommend a down-cut spiral bit, which will reduce chipping. If the inlay has square corners, until such time as a square route bit is invented, you’ll need to hand chisel the corners square after routing.


Other Related Articles:
Perfect Hinge Mortises on Small Boxes

Do you have a question for WWGOA? Ask us on Facebook or email Note: questions may be edited for clarity and relevance.

how to buy a router guide

Share tips, start a discussion or ask one of our experts or other students a question.

Make a comment:
characters remaining

One Response to “Ask WWGOA: Square Route a Hole for an Inlay”

  1. Cliff

    you could use a mortise chisel to square the corners either before or after you router out the rest of the material