Regardless of what you’re doing in your shop, there are general rules that apply to every task. Learn about personal protective equipment, tips for being safety conscious and general procedures to follow for making sure that your shop environment is a safe environment. Following these general guidelines will get you started on creating a safe work atmosphere.
There’s nothing more important about working in your shop than safety. If you want to have a long future in woodworking, you’ve got to know how to use your tools safely and properly.
This class will provide you with the fundamental information you need to safely operate the mainstream tools common to most woodshops. In addition to general safety information that you need in the shop, you’ll learn specific safety rules for these tools:
- Table saw
- Hand-held router
- Drill press
- Router table
- Miter saw
Whether you’re a seasoned woodworker, or just getting started, you’ll get many safety tips from this class. In fact, as a seasoned woodworker, you may find that you’ve developed bad habits. Part of being safety conscious is learning the right way to do things, and unlearning any bad habits that you’ve developed over time. This Shop Safety Class will help you with both of these tasks!
Passing along your knowledge
One of the greatest things about woodworkers is their tendency to share their woodworking with others; neighbors, relatives, kids, Scout groups….woodworkers are a giving group. It’s important that as you pass your woodworking along to others, you’re teaching them the best, and safest, possible means of working with tools. Be completely sure that the methods you’re teaching are safe.
Print outs for your shop
A detailed printable Class Guide is included, as it is with all our classes, to serve as a reminder of what you learn in class. In addition to that, you’ll also receive with this class:
- Bowl turning speed chart
- Spindle turning speed chart
- Router bit speed chart
- A rule poster for each tool that you can post in your shop
- Q: How do I know what the Class covers?A: Every Class has a free Preview video you can watch, to give you a flavor of the Instructor and the skills or project that will be covered. In addition, the Overview tab includes a thorough written description of the Class. And finally, each Class Session has a brief written summary of the content in that Session, including the length of each Session video. You will get a good feel for the Class content by reviewing these resources.
- Q: Do I have to be a Member of Woodworkers Guild of America to purchase a Class?A: No you don’t. While Premium Members will receive regular offers for special deals on WWGOA Academy content, Classes are not reserved exclusively for Members. If you buy a Class as a non-member, we’re sure you’d also enjoy having access to our full library of great woodworking videos and articles as a Member, so give it a try.
- Q: How Do I Purchase A Class?A: First you should decide that the Class is what you want. Review the Class Preview video and the various written descriptions of the Class and each Session before you purchase, so you have a good understanding of the Class content. When you’re ready to purchase and gain access to the Class, simply click the “Add to Cart” button, and proceed through the Checkout process.
- Q: How do I access/view my Class?A: Once you’ve paid, you can access/view your Class by going to the MY ACCOUNT section of Woodworkers Guild of America. The MY ACCOUNT link is in the upper right-hand area of the website. Within your MY ACCOUNT, a section labeled “My Classes” will appear, including a link to watch the video of your Class. You’ll also receive an email confirmation after your purchase, which will include a link to view your Class. You can access your Class as many times as you wish, and you’ll never lose access to your Account information. Just be sure to “Log In” for access to MY ACCOUNT.
- Q: Do I have to take the Class right away?A: No. Any Class you buy will be accessible to you always. You can view your Class whenever you want, and you can view individual Sessions in whatever order you like.
- Q: Is there a limit on the times I can view my Class?A: No. Your access never expires. You can view any Class you purchase as many times as you want, whenever you want.
- Q: Can I view a Class on my tablet device or mobile phone?A: No problem. Most newer-model smartphones or other mobile/tablet devices with an internet connection are able to play the Class videos. Simply Log In on Woodworkers Guild of America, and you can view any Class you’ve bought through the MY ACCOUNT section. Or, you can click on the “View Class” link within the email confirmation you’ll receive upon your purchase.
- Q: How does the Class Q&A Resource benefit work?A: Once you purchase any Class, within the Class viewing page, you’ll have access to post a question, comment or tip in the Class Q&A Resource area. This is not a “live chat,” but your Class Instructor and WWGOA contributors will answer posted questions and provide tips regularly. You can also view other Class participants’ questions and input to take part in this virtual dialogue among others who have taken the Class and are willing to share tips, answers, or ideas.
- Q: Can I print out Class details?A: For any Bonus Material that is a PDF Download, yes you can. Just click on the icon/button for the Bonus element you want, and print with your local printer.
- Q: What are PDF downloads?A: These are simply documents, plans, or written materials that are formatted in a way to print out and retain for reference. By simply clicking on the icon/link for any PDF Download that is included with a Class, you can print that document on your own printer or simply view the contents on your computer/mobile device.
- Q: Are there any system requirements to view the Class video content?A: Your Class video content is best when viewed on a computer manufactured in the past couple of years with a good broadband Internet connection (not dialup). We also highly recommend using the latest version of Firefox, Safari, or Chrome as your Internet Browser, though recent versions of Internet Explorer will work as well. The recommended screen resolution is 1024 x 768 or larger.
- Q: Why do you need my email?A: We need it to acknowledge your purchase of a Class, and send you a confirmation of your transaction. Also, in order to maintain your permanent access to the Class videos, you’ll need to Log In to personaldefensenetwork.com. We guarantee that we will not share your email with any third parties. You may receive email updates from Personal Defense Network from time to time, with details of new Classes and updates. You can easily unsubscribe when you receive any email.
- Q: How do I contact WWGOA Academy?A: If your question is about the Class content, please use the Class Discussion benefit to ask your question online – and you'll receive feedback from the Class Instructor. Even your fellow Class participants may jump in to offer tips and advice from their experience. If you have other questions or need help, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us toll-free, at 1-855-253-0822. Service Representatives will be available Monday-Friday, from 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM Central time, excluding normal holidays.
Bonus Materials Included
- Printable Class Guide PDF?
- Class Resources & Speed Charts PDF?
- Shop Safety Posters PDF?
- Meet Your Instructor?
- Video: More about Shop Safety?