Meet your instructor, George Vondriska, and learn what tools and techniques are used in this video Class. You’ll also learn the material requirements; how many board feet of material are required for the woodworking project you’ll complete.
Tables, chairs and other forms of furniture rely heavily on mortise and tenon joinery, which is at the heart of our Fundamentals of Furniture Making Class. From scaling the joinery to suit your project to producing a perfectly fitting joint, you’ll learn the mortise and tenon joint inside and out, along with other great tips for making rock solid furniture.
Additionally, furniture projects often require solid wood tops, made using edge-to-edge glue ups. Learn the tricks behind jointing perfect edges, getting great color and grain matches in your top, and allowing solid wood tops to expand and contract seasonally.
Our Class video instruction is very detailed, leaving no steps out of the process. In this Class you’ll learn about:
- Project design
- Edge-to-edge glue ups for strength and beauty
- Mortise and tenon joinery
- Tapering legs
- Adding decorative accents to furniture projects
Your Class instructor, George Vondriska, is a firm believer in the adage that form should follow function, and he’ll show you how to add simple details to furniture that take it from boring to beautiful. For example, a simple router bit makes a significant difference in the look of the table rails. Undercutting the edge of the top gives it a lighter look. A slight taper on the legs reduces their bulk. Fundamentals of Furniture Making provides video instruction that makes each of these details easy to do.
In addition to step-to-step video instruction, this Class provides you with downloadable resources and helpful information, including: A complete woodworking plan for the table you’ll build in your own shop while following along with George’s techniques; source references for any specialized tools used; and a printable Class Guide as a reminder for all the key steps.
CLASS TOOL INCLUDED:As part of this special bundled class offer, you’ll also receive a Fastedge Clamp with your purchase. This Clamp, a $10.99 value when purchased separately has adjustable tension, is non-marring and is perfect for cabinet building. If you are serious about furniture and cabinet making this will be a perfect addition to your shop. This Clamp will be shipped to you upon your purchase of this video class. See more details on this clamp set here.
- Q: How do I know what the Class covers?A: Every Class has a free Preview video you can watch, to give you a flavor of the Instructor and the skills or project that will be covered. In addition, the Overview tab includes a thorough written description of the Class. And finally, each Class Session has a brief written summary of the content in that Session, including the length of each Session video. You will get a good feel for the Class content by reviewing these resources.
- Q: Do I have to be a Member of Woodworkers Guild of America to purchase a Class?A: No you don’t. While Premium Members will receive regular offers for special deals on WWGOA Academy content, Classes are not reserved exclusively for Members. If you buy a Class as a non-member, we’re sure you’d also enjoy having access to our full library of great woodworking videos and articles as a Member, so give it a try.
- Q: How do I purchase a Class?A: First you should decide that the Class is what you want. Review the Class Preview video and the various written descriptions of the Class and each Session before you purchase, so you have a good understanding of the Class content. When you’re ready to purchase and gain access to the Class, simply click the “Add to Cart” button, and proceed through the Checkout process.
- Q: How do I access/view my Class?A: Once you’ve paid, you can access/view your Class by going to the MY ACCOUNT section of Woodworkers Guild of America. The MY ACCOUNT link is in the upper right-hand area of the website. Within your MY ACCOUNT, a section labeled “My Classes” will appear, including a link to watch the video of your Class. You’ll also receive an email confirmation after your purchase, which will include a link to view your Class. You can access your Class as many times as you wish, and you’ll never lose access to your Account information. Just be sure to “Log In” for access to MY ACCOUNT.
- Q: Do I have to take the Class right away?A: No. Any Class you buy will be accessible to you always. You can view your Class whenever you want, and you can view individual Sessions in whatever order you like.
- Q: Is there a limit on the times I can view my Class?A: No. Your access never expires. You can view any Class you purchase as many times as you want, whenever you want.
- Q: Can I view a Class on my tablet device or mobile phone?A: No problem. Most newer-model smartphones or other mobile/tablet devices with an internet connection are able to play the Class videos. Simply Log In on Woodworkers Guild of America, and you can view any Class you’ve bought through the MY ACCOUNT section. Or, you can click on the “View Class” link within the email confirmation you’ll receive upon your purchase.
- Q: How do I get access to the Bonus Materials for the Class?A: Until you purchase a Class, the Bonus material (any extra videos, download materials, etc.) will not be accessible. Once you purchase a Class, and go to View your Class, each individual Bonus element is accessible by simply clicking on each item. You’ll find the Bonus Materials to the right of your main Class viewer frame. As with the Class video, you can access the bonus materials as many times as you like.
- Q: How does the Class Q&A Resource benefit work?A: Once you purchase any Class, within the Class viewing page, you’ll have access to post a question, comment or tip in the Class Q&A Resource area. This is not a “live chat,” but your Class Instructor and WWGOA contributors will answer posted questions and provide tips regularly. You can also view other Class participants’ questions and input to take part in this virtual dialogue among others who have taken the Class and are willing to share tips, answers, or ideas.
- Q: Can I print out Class details?A: For any Bonus Material that is a PDF Download, yes you can. Just click on the icon/button for the Bonus element you want, and print with your local printer.
- Q: What are PDF downloads?A: These are simply documents, plans, or written materials that are formatted in a way to print out and retain for reference. By simply clicking on the icon/link for any PDF Download that is included with a Class, you can print that document on your own printer or simply view the contents on your computer/mobile device.
- Q: Are there any system requirements to view the Class video content?A: Your Class video content is best when viewed on a computer manufactured in the past couple of years with a good broadband Internet connection (not dialup). We also highly recommend using the latest version of Firefox, Safari, or Chrome as your Internet Browser, though recent versions of Internet Explorer will work as well. The recommended screen resolution is 1024 x 768 or larger.
- Q: Why do you need my email?A: We need it to acknowledge your purchase of a Class, and send you a confirmation of your transaction. Also, in order to maintain your permanent access to the Class videos, you’ll need to Log In to WWGOA.com. We guarantee that we will not share your email with any third parties. You may receive email updates from Woodworkers Guild of America from time to time, with details of new Classes and updates. You can easily unsubscribe when you receive any email.
- Q: Can I get a refund if I don’t like the Class?A: Because you’ll have full access to all the materials and content that is presented in the Class immediately, we can’t offer a refund after purchase. Please review the Class Preview video and the various written descriptions of the Class and each Session before you purchase, so you have a good understanding of the Class content.
- Q: How do I contact WWGOA Academy?A: If your question is about the Class content, please use the Class Discussion benefit to ask your question online – and you'll receive feedback from the Class Instructor. Even your fellow Class participants may jump in to offer tips and advice from their experience. If you have other questions or need help, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us toll-free, at 1-855-253-0822. Service Representatives will be available Monday-Friday, from 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM Central time, excluding normal holidays.
Bonus Materials Included
- Video: Instructor Insights?
- Printable Class Guide PDF?
- Class Resource List?
- Video: Meet Your Instructor?
- Project Drawing & Cut List PDF?