WWGOA LIVE! August 2018

Thanks for joining tonight’s LIVE event. Here’s what we covered.

1:22 Saw blade sharpening tools
30:46 Shop made adjustable legs
33:25 Table saw runout
34:00 Hearing protection
35:08 Drawer joints
36:25 Woodworking training
38:34 Sommerfeld router bits
39:00 Drum sander for figured woods?
40:20 Dust collector advice
41:00 SawStop?
43:05 George’s camera set up
43:30 Jointing and planing; correct grain direction
47:40 Clamp pressure
48:53 Ironing veneer for a chessboard
50:10 Titebond III for all applications?
51:54 Japanese pull saw for trimming plugs flush
53:50 Drum sander for figured wood?
54:18 Bandsaw features
54:44 New table saw fence
56:50 Tool cabinet in a damp environment
57:50 ATB or TCG blade?
1:00:01 Cutting logs on the bandsaw

WWGOA LIVE is brought to you by:
tb-logo

108 Responses to “WWGOA LIVE! August 2018”
  1. GEORGE

Looking to buy saw blade sharpening tools for home shop use – any suggestions???

2. Ron

Hi George- I was going to build a flag case out of Ancient New Zealand Kauri wood. Have you ever worked with this wood before and if so do you have any suggestions or ‘hints’ or ‘be aware of’ issues I might encounter with this wood?

3. Scott

Hi George-Just bought my first router (Bosch MRC23EVSK) so now I am trying to decide on a router table. Would you recommend going with the $500 Kreg PRS1045 with an MDF core or the Rockler Pro Phenolic table that is currently on sale for $450?

4. Gary Petersen

You warned in a video about cutting on the tablesaw against the fence when the distance from the blade to the fence is less than the length of board contacting the fence. You said there were several ways to make repeated cuts to length when this was the case. What are they, please? I’m particularly interested in this for boards too wide for the miter saw.

5. Gary Goodman

Is a router table better than a table saw for jointing, if you don’t have a jointer?

6. David

Can you point me to any resources for building entry/passage doors? When building a large door how do you keep them from warping?

7. Douglas Taylor Sr

I have an older craftsman 10″ table top bandsaw and have been trying to find a replacement miter gauge and rail for it (9,16 X 1/4 or 3/16). All of the ones that I have found are 3/4 X 3/8.

8. JOHN

4 days ago my table saw bit me on the thumb. My error, and a minor injury, thanks to your video on blade height, it was only a bit above the wood, and the injury is healing already. Thank you for your safety tips as well as the how to’s.

9. Scott

Hi George-I just got my first router (Bosch MRC23EVSK) and now I am looking for a table. Would you recommend the $500 Kreg PRS1045 with an MDF core or the Rockler Pro Phenolic table that is currently on sale for $450?

10. Doug

Want to make some basic cutting and chopping boards. Simple enough but what kinds of wood are and, probably more important, are NOT to be used??

11. Isaac

Hi Im Almost finished studying in high school, and I am wanting to start my own woodworking/woodturning business. Are there any subjects in particular that I should study to make my business better?

12. William

What’s with the bands around the three fingers of you left hand?? (From Southern California)

13. Mohammed Alomeri

I’ve made a few small cutting boards (Max width is 12″ due to my planer). I’m having trouble getting them to be flat. Any advice?

14. GREGORY SCHOENEKASE

I have aluminum roller table saw s, what is the best way to make adjustable legs so i can use them as an out feed table for my table saw and router table.

15. elcaminowoodworks

What is a good method for getting rid of runout on the table saw? And what kind of Bluetooth earbuds are you using? Asking for a friend 😉

16. Doug

What do you suggest to someone who wants to get into woodworking but doesn’t have any training? I recently retired and am planning to get into woodworking but want to know the best way to get started.

17. Mike

I’m from Fond du Lac Wi. Have you ever met Marc Sommerfeld? Do you own any of his router bits? What do you think of his router bits?

18. mark

figured woods such as tiger or birds eye maple tend to tear out when run through a surface planer or jointer, is a drum sander a good alternative, especially for items like table tops.

19. Dennis

Looking to acquire a cyclone dust collector. Is Grizzly 3 hp a quality brand and sufficient to pull dust through a 6″ duct through a 30′ run? They are coming out with their new compact series on casters for $1300. Any help would be appreciated.

20. William

You referenced wood grain direction when using a jointer. Does the same apply on a thickness planner?

21. Carlos

Nice sweepstakes. I hoped when you said Laguna that it was a bandsaw, but awesome prices regardless

22. Michael

I’ve seen you iron veneer to a substrate. Do you think that a chessboard using veneer squares can be ironed?

23. daslagg

I watched a video on woodworking safety in general that you did but I can’t find it now. I searched “safety” but it did not come up. Any suggestions on how to find it. I want to show it to a kid’s woodworking class.

24. ldwright123

Do you use a Japanese Pull Saw to flush cut plugs? if so what should I look for in a quality saw that won’t damage the surface I am flush cutting next to?

• CALVIN

I have a saw that is specially made for this. It is a pull saw, flexible, but the teeth are flat on one side so it won’t mark up the work piece.

25. Marvin

is a drum sander a good alternative to a planer for highly figured woods subject to tear out of the surface

26. Ian

Any suggestion for steam bending a short compound curve? I can manage one bend the second keeps breaking. I’m using a silicone blanket and a mold.

27. rrw

I have an old Craftsman table saw. It has the original metal fence that is about 1.25 inches thick and is very hard to keep perpendicular to the saw. What do you recommend, a wooden homemade fence or something else?

28. Eddie

I live in Louisiana where it is hot and humid, and I’m considering making a tool cabinet that would be kept in my carport. What material would you recommend?

29. Doug

What would you suggest to someone like me who has no woodworking experience but would like to get into it in my retirement? How best to get some training to get started?

30. Robert Dippold

Resawing logs on a shop band saw how can I keep the initial cuts square to the core line

31. hippyrandall

My older Craftsman (113 series) keeps getting stuck on a 45 degree bevel and I can’t figure out what is wrong or find much help on the interwebs. Any suggestions on things to try or check/replace.

32. BOB

is there a resource to find local wood working clubs. I have searched on the net and asked around but have not had any luck finding a group.

• George Vondriska

Google, woodworking retailers, ask other woodworkers, ask at lumber suppliers

33. William

Low angled hand plane with a 90 degree blade supposedly works great for figured woods.

34. THURMAN

what angle do you like on the nose of a bowl gouge, and what grind do you like?

• George Vondriska

Finger nail grind. Not sure how many degrees I’m grinding at. My wolverine jig makes it automatic

35. Robert Sandstrom

Getting ready to glue-up some cedar for a barn door baby style gate. Last couple glue-ups using Titebond 2 started drying up before I got everything in place. I live in CA and it has been very hot. What type of glue would you recommend?

36. ROBERT

Can you comment on attaching a face frame by pocket hole screws tongue and groove or glue

• George Vondriska

I build all of my face frames with pockets holes and glue. Tongue and groove is great, but overkill for a face frame.

37. DONALD

I am a big fan of woodpecker tools and their accuracy and use them all the time. These tools are very accurate, so my question is what do you shoot for in accuracy in your wood working. Example .002 inche ect.

• George Vondriska

I really don’t have a number like that in my head when I’m building. I transfer measurements way more frequently than actually taking measurements. That gives me the accuracy I need.

38. WAYNE

Have you ever considered gathering your whole crew in front of the camera at the end of your broadcast? You sometimes call them by name, and it would be nice to have faces to go with their names.

• George Vondriska

I’ve asked Ginny. We’ll get her there…. Sam is offsite doing behind the scenes stuff.

• George Vondriska

I’ve sent lots of composite deck boards and PVC boards through my CNC to make outdoor signs.

39. Ben

I just finished building my new kitchen cabinets, prefinished maple for boxes, cherry for doors/frawerfronts and face frames, I usually spray dye/stain/sealer and precat lacquer, is there a big advantage to using conversion varnish?

• George Vondriska

I’ve sprayed many gallons of cat laq. Haven’t use conversion varnish, so I don’t know what benefits it offers.