WWGOA GOLD LIVE: Resawing on the Band Saw

This WWGOA GOLD LIVE event is all about resawing on the band saw. George Vondriska shows you how to do it the right way and answers viewers questions about the process.

THIS EVENT IS ONLY AVAILABLE FOR WWGOA GOLD AND PLATINUM MEMBERS

Log in now to view the event or become a GOLD Member today by clicking here and choosing the GOLD membership option!

71 Responses to “WWGOA GOLD LIVE: Resawing on the Band Saw”
  1. Edward J Vercelli

What is the minimum size blade and tooth count for resawing?

2. Martin MIsenheimer

would like to see a plan for sawing a circle on the band saw. If no plan available, give dimensions on the air.

3. Jeff M

I have a 17inc bansaw that is 110 or 220 , I have been using it as a 110, but I fell like if I try to cut anything 3ft long or taller then 10″ I’m going to pop the 110 converter.. .. I plane on using it to re-saw big pieces and smaller one. and I have 4 different blades for other work. should I just convert it to the 220?if so will it be harder to cut smaller pieces?

4. phill odonoghue

Hi George,
    Thank you for your tutorials and the knowledge sharred that makes my woodworking experience so enjoyable. I look forward to todays live web event.
    Regards
    Phill – Melbourne Australia

5. PAT

Will this be available as a recording afterwards? I planned to attend but am called away to something more urgent.

6. PAT

Since I won’t be able to attend but can see that recordings remain available, I’ll add my one question. Namely, recommended tips when going from raw logs? I recently cut a log into slabs and have much more width variation than I expected. My plan is to plane before completing the split of the slabs further.

7. jeffmartin086

after building my glide for the bansaw my wife thought it was a corner shelf for her.. tks gorge for all the tips.

8. Martind

how do I get to see and hear the live program – which was supposed to start at 7:00pm?

• Sam Kirchoff

We start at 7 PM CST – central time – which is in about 45 minutes.

9. Steve

Looking forward hope this clears up all the different videos that seem to counerdict each other

10. Robert Taylor

Assuming a budget of $3,000 what would be your choice of a bandsaw? It would be for resaw and other shop duties.

11. Butch

Can you resaw dimensional flat dawn lumber to create 1/4 sawn material? Or is table saw better?

12. Stan Howe

Vt again, have re-sawn a lot lately, but I always learn more from your video’s

13. shagrat13

Do you prefer to cut the piece on the inside next to the fence or outside away from the fence?

14. Gary

How thin can you reasonable expect to resaw using a band saw? Does this vary by wood species or height of the cut?

15. dean katsilas

I have an old Shop Smith Mark 5 with 11 inch band saw, use it all the time but likely needs a good cleaning and greasing

16. gcoyne

If you do not see any drift with your blade and saw, is there any reason/need for a single-contact fence?

17. aughtago

what is the issue indicated by the symptom of the Timber wolf blade bending and making a curved cut (top to bottom)

18. Robert Taylor

I had to cut my walnut tree down and I want to cut some of the smaller limbs into short planks. Can I do that on a band saw? I have not gotten one yet and would also ask which saw would be the best for that and other work like that?

19. Lawrence

Larry from West Bend WI How do you sharpen the pin on a marking gauge

20. LAWRENCE

I have a new Laguna 14″ bandsaw and for the life of me I can’t correct my resawing problems. I use a 5/8″ 4 TPI blade. I have corrected for drift and tried using both single point or the fence. I can get it to work with soft woods like pine. But when cutting maple or walnut it drifts off center or I get a curve (is that a barrel cut?).

21. William

Should you take the tension off of the blade when not using the saw? Watching from Holtwood, Pa

22. Steve Benoit

Watching someone resaw the right way is always better then trial and error!

23. Kirk

When re-sawing, would using a magnetic fingerboard to hold the bottom of the board next to the fence make any difference over not using one?

24. JOHN

If you measured that board just cut after the angle was adjusted would the two ends be equal.?? Thanks

25. gcoyne

You are working with short boards. What tips/tricks would you recommend if you wanted to work with (say) 6 foot boards?

26. William

why is it important to have veneer on outside – you will have to re-adjust every cut. if feed on inside then no re-adjusting necessary…but I am sure I am missing something!

27. JOE

I have a 14″ Powermatic band saw that does not have the quick relief and blade tighten bar on the back. Is it possible to by an aftermarket bar for my bandsaw?

28. BOBBY

Hello from Waco, Texas. Thanks for the good content! I’m ready to make skinny boards!

29. Joshua

what would the problem BE WITH CUTTING THE VENEER BETWEEN THE BLADE AND THE FENCE?

30. jeffmartin086

what is a good cleaner to use on the blade and rubber on the wheel?