WWGOA GOLD LIVE: Bowl Turning

This WWGOA GOLD LIVE event is all about the fine art of turning a bowl using a four jaw chuck. George Vondriska explains the best way to set up your tool and demonstrates how to move your wood to create a perfectly round bowl.

THIS EVENT IS ONLY AVAILABLE FOR WWGOA GOLD AND PLATINUM MEMBERS

Log in now to view the event or become a GOLD Member today by clicking here and choosing the GOLD membership option!

91 Responses to “WWGOA GOLD LIVE: Bowl Turning”
    • Sam Kirchoff

Yes, all gold members will be able to access this video from their dashboards within a few days of the live event, so no need to worry!

1. George Vondriska

I LOVE bowl turning, so I’m looking forward to tonight’s session. Hope you can join us and see how things “turn out.” 🙂

2. Claude Jay

I own 10 Easy Wood Lathe Tools and would like to know if they are really any better than the conventional lathe tools? I’ve never used the conventional tools and I don’t know anything about sharpening these tools.

3. Frank

Will you be demonstrating with any particular species of wood? Will you be discussing about certain species that will NOT work well in a 4 jaw chuck?

4. bill

Looking forward to this event. I’m just getting started in turning…taking class at a local junior college. So far so good but definitely find it to be a challenge. It clearly isn’t something that comes natural to me.

5. Tom Schrock

I’m not sure how to log in to my “gold website” Hopefully when I click on submit, it will take me to it.

6. aughtago

Have you tried the method involving scraps placed into a mold, then filled with epoxy, then turned on the lath to make a bowl? if so what epoxy do you recommend?

7. William

George…am thinking about picking up a nice lathe. What features in a lathe could you not live without?

8. rossvh

My problem is that the end grain on some woods turns so rough (on the bowl you are currently turning) that it is hard to get it smooth – compared to the long grain parts of the bowl.

• George Vondriska

End grain is always a problem. You’ve got to make certain that your chisels are sharp, and take light passes as you finalize the shape. That’ll help a lot. On the outside of a bowl work “downhill” by going from the center of the bowl toward the outside. On the inside of the bowl go from the rim toward the center.

9. raedwa01

Why bother with the bottom recess when you have the bowl edge chuck and could have put the flat bottom against it?

• George Vondriska

The edge chuck doesn’t grip well enough to do an entire bowl with aggressive cuts. But it works great for the light passes you need to finish the bottom.

10. Dan

Hello, woodshop teacher in Okinawa Japan here, thank you for this class! I am wondering why George prefers to turn green wood over kiln dryed?

11. Eric

On your Green turnings, are you leaving them thicker to dry and prevent warping? and how long are you leaving them to dry?

12. Russell

Late getting in but watching from Emily, MN. Always enjoy watching and learning more ways to work with my lathe and saws and other tools. Thank you.

• George Vondriska

Yep, I’ve done this. It’s an art, not a science, and fun to experiment with. Not a bad idea to get a shop microwave instead of using the one in your kitchen. Some woods leave a pretty bad smell in the microwave.