Ask WWGOA: Framing Spikes


What are framing spikes? The bench plans I have call for framing in of the bench base by assembling “them with the framing spikes as shown above.” I see no spikes in the picture. Thanks for your help.

Submitted by T. Welsh


Back when I was building houses, we called 16D nails, used to nail together 2 x 4 and 2 x 6 walls, framing spikes. If your bench plan calls for nailing together the base, my guess is that these nails are what they’re referring to. I can’t think of any other woodworking tool or device referred to as a framing spike.


Do you have a question for WWGOA? Ask us on Facebook or email Note: questions may be edited for clarity and relevance.
  • (will not be published)

6 Responses to “Ask WWGOA: Framing Spikes”

  1. David

    I bought solid pine interior doors and had to cut them down, now there not square; how can I get them square? Should I be using a router or a saw?

  2. Dale Wagstaff

    How do you maintain free flow of glue from the tight bond glue container while it’s being used. Mine works fine for a few days even though I close it, and then it gets all dried and plugged up and I have to take it apart and clean it in order to use the glue dispenser nozzle again. Do you have any suggestions?

    • Customer Service

      Hi Dale. I also clean the nozzle, but I do not find that I have to do this with the frequency that you suggest. Perhaps monthly or so. I use a pointy pick and run it under hot water, and it seems to clear it pretty quickly.