Ask WWGOA: How Much Time Do I Have After Spreading Adhesive?

Q: I’m building a jewelry box for my girlfriend for Christmas. I’m looking to flock the inside the drawers, and the inside top half, where necklaces will hang. I’m curious how much setup time I have for the adhesive, if I can spread the adhesive and lay the flocking all at once or if I should do it in sections?

A: The open time will vary depending on the product that you use, as well as the ambient humidity and temperature in your shop. That said, I believe that you should be able to make it in one pass, and I would be uneasy about trying to do it in two phases. You might want to do a simple test on some scrap, and spread some adhesive out and see how long it remains tacky.

Here’s a video on this topic:

You might also be interested in:
Jewelry Box Plans
Glue Tips: Using Denatured Alcohol for a Strong Bond
Methods for Evenly Spreading Glue
Using Contact Adhesive
How to Make a Bandsaw Box
Turning a Small Lidded Box
Cool Upcycled Wood Boxes Using Salvaged Wood

16 Responses to “Ask WWGOA: How Much Time Do I Have After Spreading Adhesive?”
  1. Antonio West
    Antonio West

Hi, I’m building a Two-step stair for the front door since the porch drops to low from the front door to the house. being that this will be outside and will get wet and go threw weather conditions with high humidity is there a specific type of wood to use for outdoor applications?

Customer Service

Antonio,

I would recommend going to a lumber yard and seeing what options you have locally. Around here, cedar, white oak, Ipe, thermally modified ash and pressure treated pine would be the main choices.

Paul
      Woodworkers Guild of America

2. Charles Prosser
    Charles Prosser

I’m building a square 8″x8″x16′ outdoor 2 front column post that can be painted, but not sure of what type of wood that i can use for this project with a exposure of high humidity, rain and cold weather.

Customer Service

Hi Charles,

Below is what our expert had to say:

I would recommend cedar for this project. If you don’t have cedar in your area, I’d suggest asking for a recommendation at a local lumber yard.
      Paul

Sincerely,
      Kate
      Woodworkers Guild of America Video Membership

3. Kevin
    Kevin

I am bending some 1/4 inch white oak slats for the back of a bench , my question is how long should the slats stay held in the desired shape?

Customer Service

If you are referring to steam bending, the guideline for that is to leave the piece clamped in your form for at least one hour. I’d probably extend that to a couple hours if you can, just to be safe.

Paul
      Woodworkers Guild of America

4. kenzen
    kenzen

Am making some guitar holders that are place on the wall. Been trying to come with a way to attach it to the wall without showing the screws into the wall. “Invisible connection “. Any ideas?

5. Barry
    Barry

I have a small shop and would like to add either a jointer or a surface planer. I currently have a table saw, band saw, router, miter saw, and scroll saw. If it won’t fit on a workbench, it would need to have a moveable stand. Which would would you suggest?

Customer Service

This is a topic that is frequently debated among woodworkers. It really depends on what type of materials you work with and what projects you build. If you buy lumber that is S4S, and you do not need to plane it to make it thinner for your projects, then you are probably better off going with a planer first. If you buy rough cut lumber, and/or you often need to reduce the thickness of your stock, then a planer is probably a better first choice.

Paul
      Woodworkers Guild of America

6. ray bartkowiak
    ray bartkowiak

I’m building a Adirondack chair out of pine that has some knots in it. I was thinking of using a pre-stain but what top coat do you recommend? Varnish, polyurethane etc.? Chair will be outside mostly under an over hang in Florida.

Customer Service

I recommend a clear penetrating deck sealer for outdoor projects. That is much more forgiving than topcoats such as varnish or poly when it comes to maintenance. If the overhang will provide enough protection that you are not worried about maintenance, then a spar varnish product such as this would work fine: https://amzn.to/2A2tiXf.

Paul
      Woodworkers Guild of America

7. Jim Pickup
    Jim Pickup

i own a ryobi scrollsaw, and it is driving me crazy sc165sv. I have asked around a100 places with no results.Can you help. this saw is suppose to take both pinned and flat blades. I cant get the flat blades to hold how do I put them in

Customer Service

Hello Jim,

Thank you for contacting us. Great question! The ‘Ask an Expert’ section is currently for members of our online community. By becoming a member, you will have access to our expert’s knowledge in woodworking. With your membership you will also receive discounts on products and hours of Premium video content.

If you are interested in becoming a member to the Woodworkers Guild of America, please click on the special offer below:

If you have any further questions, please chat, email, or contact Customer Service at 1-855-253-0822.

We greatly appreciate your business!

Sincerely,

Michael
      Woodworkers Guild of America Video Membership

8. WILLIAM
    WILLIAM

I have a 560 Sq ft shop and a 650cfm vacuum. How much vacuum line at 4 Inch dia can I us before I start loosing vacuum? note: I use only one machine at a time.

Customer Service

You will experience some CFM drop with each foot of ducting. With a 650 CFM dust collector, you should configure no more than 10′ of flex hose. At the end of 10′ you will likely be somewhere in the range of 300 CFM.

Paul